Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Camping Trip

When it comes to making contacts, businessmen prefer to leave their families out of the process altogether, thereby keeping work and home separate. But what do you do when your work is building friendships? Should this be a solo venture or a family affair?


Nine months ago, I reached a crossroads. Our company requires that I invest at least forty hours weekly into my work. Should I continue to venture out alone to study language and culture and to make friends? Knowing that values are caught and not taught, how would my children ever catch my (His) values if these values kept us constantly separate?

It was at this point that I determined as much as possible to integrate my family into this process. At least for now, I have shifted away from spending a good deal of time with college students and spend more time with career professionals and families. I am more aware of people in environments that my children already participate in, such as preschool. These relationships are drawing our whole family into a deeper understanding of and communion with our friends here.

This camping trip was one of those opportunities. Caleb and I were invited to join some of his classmates for an overnight excursion a couple of weekends ago, so we borrowed camping gear from a friend and headed out for an adventure.

We rode with one of the three other families that went, and arrived after an hour drive into the mountains. Before heading to the camp-site, Caleb and his friends had fun throwing rocks into the river--a favorite activity of his since he was old enough to throw.

Then we hiked in and set up camp, and the kids took turns playing on the swing nearby.
Exploring the woods and river, and of course, catching tadpoles and other water creatures kept the kids happily entertained for the evening. It's always fun to get away from the city for a while and enjoy the great outdoors.

After dinner, a campfire, and a short night's sleep, we were ready for a hearty and now-familiar breakfast of rice noodles and soup.

Later, Caleb and Dorothy enjoyed each other's company on our hike to the waterfall.






Throughout the weekend, it was a great joy to grow closer to my son and to see him connecting with and valuing people. I'm looking forward to more opportunities such as this.