Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My other teacher...

In building relationships, sometimes the best opportunities are with people we already see on a regular basis. This older gentleman lives in our apartment complex and regularly sits and chats with the security guards. I see him nearly every day when I park my bike, and have begun to talk with him alot. He is willing to speak slowly and write down words for me when I don't understand--he has been very helpful, and it means alot to me as a beginning language learner. He is also very warm toward our children, and our camaraderie has grown quite a bit over the last few weeks. He has invited me to play ping pong with him, and he'll probably beat me pretty bad! The older men here are usually pretty adept at table tennis! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know him more as my language ability grows and as we spend more time together.