Thursday, September 27, 2007

A little comic relief

As Bill Cosby says, "Kids say the darndest things!" I'd have to agree. Here are some of Caleb's latest quotes that have kept us smiling...

One afternoon he was having his snack, and he asked me, “Mom, did you get me at the store?”

We recently potty trained him (YAY--we're finished!!! He's officially a big boy now, proudly sporting his Lightning McQueen undies!), so the topic's been on his mind quite a bit. Chewing gum was the reward for each of his potty success, and he's very excited about it. So one afternoon when I came out of the bathroom, he clapped and cheered and said, "Good job going potty, Mom! You get a piece of gum!"

We were having dinner, and as usual he was balking at eating his veggies. The deal was that he could be excused when he finished everything in his bowl. He'd tried several different tactics--spitting them out when I wasn't looking, sneaking them little by little onto the floor, etc. So he decided to try a different anlge. “Thank you for the food, Mom,” he said. I replied, “You’re welcome.” And then with a sly smile and all of his sweetness he said, “Am I welcome to be excused?”

He and Dave were watching a movie one evening. There was a scene where a lady was hiding in a room and her daughter told a friend that she could almost feel her mother's presence in that room. David laughed at the irony, and then Caleb let out a big chuckle and said, "There aren’t any presents in that room! Ha!"

Caleb seems to have developed his Pop's affinity for making up words--I was recently on my way somewhere and asked if he wanted to go with me. He said, “Yeah, cause I’m feeling a little bit splampy.” (Splampy??? Where in the world did he come up with that?!) So later I asked him what it was like to feel splampy and he said, “It feels like I need to go potty.” My goodness. Well, I guess we all feel a little bit splampy sometimes. =)