Thursday, September 06, 2007

He's growing up!

Well, our little Caleb is growing up--he is now in preschool! After lots of consideration, we enrolled him in a local Asian school, and he has been doing great. It's only a 4 minute walk from our apartment, and it's a very nice, safe, clean facility with an English-speaking principal and at least one English-speaking teacher in each class. He goes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning until lunchtime, and has adjusted very well so far.

Last Monday was his first day, so I stayed with him for the first couple of hours to get his books, talk with his teachers, and help him settle in. It was so cute watching him with the other kids! First they had breakfast--scrambled egg with rice noodles and broth--and he slurped it down!


After a potty break was language class. They did activities, learned some new vocabulary, read a story, and sang songs, but I think Caleb was more interested in the little girl sitting next to him... =)


Next came snack and of course another potty break, and then exercise time. As I was leaving, the kids were marching and swinging their arms to the music. Caleb shed a few tears when I said goodbye (I waited until I got home to shed a couple myself!), but I told him he'd be okay and would have lots of fun, learn alot, and make new friends. Sure enough, when I picked him up, the first thing he said was, "I was okay, Mommy! I was okay!"

Anyway, so far it's been a great experience, though it's hard to see him grow up so fast. I suppose that letting go is an integral part of parenting, however painful it may be at times. But I'm excited for him to make new friends and learn the language--he's already teaching me new words! I'm sure he'll be fluent in no time--if he can keep his attention on the teacher!