Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Eastern Religion




Buddhism is the largest and fastest growing religion in the Asian country I visited. I was struck by how broad and pervasive its influence is. The mythical story of the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, is very interesting. If you have the time, google Buddhism. Click on the link religioustolerance.org/buddhism (third from the top when I googled it). Look under "A brief overview of the Buddha's life." It will give you a brief outline, according to tradition, of the events of Siddhartha Gautama's journey. I look forward to understanding the basic tenets of the Buddhist faith, that I might converse better with the locals. On the left is a Buddhist shrine at a tourist attraction we visited. On the right is a "prayer wheel." Worshippers believe that by grasping one of the attached handles and walking three times around clockwise they will receive blessing on their lives and good fortune.