Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Who am I?

Where I come from, we feel most comfortable around people when we sense they feel free to "be themselves." Grant is a friend of mine here who I feel most free to "be myself" with. We've eaten lunch together on almost a weekly basis as well as had him over to the house for a meal. This is why I think he decided recently to help me by recommending a book to me. It was my first book recommendation from a local friend, so I was intrigued to learn of the contents of this book. It is a well-known book on how to understand and appropriately interact with our host culture (he bought me an English copy). In a culture where subtlety is an art, I could hardly miss the message. Maybe in "being myself," I can make myself hard to be with for my local friends. I am thankful that Grant cares enough about me to help me, but ouch!!! My pride hurts!!!

Celebrating the birthday of Grant's father (Grant on far left with Caleb)